Monday, September 22, 2008

Odds and Ends

Well, I promised that this wouldn't be anything particularly original, and I'm going to deliver on that promise. Just a few things from today that interested me:

If you're going to take the press to task for calling you a liar, it's probably best to try to avoid lying while you do that.

And this? This is just inexplicable, is what this is.

So the taxpayer is evidently going to be on the hook for a trillion dollars, give or take. The McCain campaign's response? To send out a dog to hunt that has absolutely no interest whatsoever in hunting. That's right, Tony Rezko: There is no there, there. No one gives a damn about it, and no one has given a damn about it for the entire time wingnuts have been shrieking about it and trying to make some there, there. But why NOT just try it again? Now more than ever, we need a discussion on Tony Rezko. I used to think that campaign was like a blindfolded kid trying to hit a pinata. To kids everywhere, I now apologize for this comparison.

Speaking of the bailout, this seems like movement in the right direction on the bailout plan; but it is interesting to me that capping golden parachutes seems to remain a sticking point? I know Bush doesn't have much to lose and I know I'm no campaign strategist, but it strikes me that making sure that executives who tanked their companies, requiring the taxpayers to save their sorrowful butts, get their exorbitant pay does not seem like a fantastic election-year stance for anyone to take. I mean, why should this be a sticking point, especially when expanded homeowner assistance and greater government oversight apparently aren't?

No comments: